Math 145a Set TheoryThis page contains some links and information for Math 145a in Fall 2016.
Class meets in Science Center 411 (right by the elevators) from 1:00pm-2:30pm on Tuesday and Thursday. Justin Cavitt is your CA.
Final candy hours:
- Boney: Monday-Friday, 2:00-3:00pm in Science Center 238
- Cavitt: Thursday, 7pm in Science Center 304
Course DocumentsHere is the syllabus for the course. Of course you should read it, but here are some administrative highlights:
Homework (see below) is due every Tuesday.
I don't do office hours, I do candy hours. These are just like office hours, but with candy. Feel free to come just for the candy (or just for the math).
The textbook for this class is "Set Theory: The Independence Phenomenon" by Peter Koellner.
Midterm: October 11
Final: December 12, 2pm
Beyond the class specifics in the syllabus, this page provides some general guidelines for classes that we should all know, but are also worth making explicit.
HomeworkHomework is due (mostly) every Tuesday in class, at the start of class. See below for the exact schedule.
Homework will cover material from the previous week and will be posted no later than a week before it's due.
This year, the math department is starting Math Night where you can go to work with other set theorists on your problem sets.
|I recognize that this is due the second day of class, but want to give you an opportunity to see what homework is like during reading period (and an opportunity to try out Math Night!).|
|I Axiom of Choose you!||HW2||Sep. 13|
|Problems 5 and 6 are being moved to next weeks homework, so you don't need to do them.|
|Every day I'm well-ordering||HW3||Sep. 22|
|Homework is due Thursday this week instead of Tuesday.|
|Ordinals on Ordinals||HW4||Oct. 4|
|No homework due the week of Sep. 27 and 29.|
|There will be an in-class midterm on Oct. 11. A review will be posted.|
|No Homework||N/A||Oct. 18|
|Baire-ly the real numbers||HW5||Oct. 25|
|Seeing set theory for the trees||HW7||Nov. 8|
|Remember to vote if you're able.|
|These HW puns are tree-rific||HW8||Nov. 15|
|Models of Set Theory||HW9||Nov. 29|
|Last homework||HW10||Dec. 1|
Course NotesThis is a collection of notes from class.
|Notes on Transfinite Recursion|
|Notes on Cofinality|
|Notes on Ultrafilters|
|"The Banach-Tarski Paradox" by Tom Weston||html|
|Notes on Normalizing Suslin Trees|
|Notes on Defining L|
Candy HoursJust like Office Hours, except there's always free candy! Come for the candy, stay for the free math help.
Office: Science Center 238
Candy Hours: Monday 12:30-1:30pm; Thursday 3:00-4:00pm
Extra Candy Hours for the midterm will be held Saturday, October 8 from 2:00-4:00pm
I'm also in my office most of the day, so please email me if you'd like to meet some other time.
Course AssistantOur CA is Justin Cavitt.
Office Hours: Sunday 6-7pm in SC 304
Justin will often also be at Math Night.
If you have any questions, please feel free to contact me at email@example.com.
Foundations of Mathematics (Set Theory)
- Ted Sider, Spring 2015, Tuesday/Thursday 10:10-11:25, Hollister 320; office hours Tuesdays 11:45-12:45 and by appointment
- TA: Eric Epstein, office hours Mondays 2-4
This will be an introductory course, not a research seminar. We won't do much more than work through the Enderton textbook together.
- Exam 2 (noncumulative): Monday, May 11, at 7:00 PM, in Rockefeller Hall 230.
- H. Enderton, Elements of Set Theory
Enderton has a list of errors in his book posted on his web site here
- Homework 1: chapter 2, problems 3-13, and 17-25, odd-numbered problems only. Due Tuesday, 2/3.
- Homework 2: chapter 3, problems 3, 6, ..., 30. Due Tuesday 2/10.
- Homework 3: chapter 3, problems 31 (we did half of this in class, so do the other half), 34, 36, 40, 43; chapter 4, problems 2, 4, 5. Due Tuesday 2/24.
- Homework 4: chapter 4, problems 8, 9, 13, 14. Due Tuesday 3/3.
- Homework 5: chapter 4, problems 20, 23, 27. Due Tuesday 3/10.
- Homework 6: chapter 5, problems 1-4, 6, 14. Due Tuesday 3/17.
- Homework 7: chapter 5, problem 16; chapter 6, problem 5. Due Tuesday 3/24.
- Homework 8: chapter 6, problems 7, 13, 15, 18. Due Tuesday 4/14.
- Homework 9: chapter 7, problems 5, 8, 9. Due Tuesday 4/21.
- Homework 10: chapter 7, problems 10, 11. Due Tuesday 4/28.
- Homework 11: chapter 7, problems 13, 16, 18. Due Tuesday 5/5.